The Little Engine That Could

Monday, September 10, 2007

The Yoga Pants

About a year ago I was wearing my favorite work pants-- black with a light blue pinstripe and a knit top. Sitting down to my normal breakfast of the morning (2 eggs, ham and cheese on a buttered roll, large coffee with milk and sugar-- over the amount of calories and fat I take in a whole day now) I split the seam of the pants. Mortified and upset, I told my boss (after of course, finishing my breakfast and doing some work) that I had to go get another pair of pants because mine had split.

I went to the Avenue about 7 blocks away, walking in sandals in the humidity. When my swollen body got to the store, the only pair I fit of pants I fit into were a size 28 yoga pant with some detailing on the bottom. Nice pants-- comfy like sweats, and I wouldn't be able to rip them.

These pants have traveled the world with me-- Shanghai, Miami, Chicago, Beijing, Buenos Aires, CT, Paris and London. I tour the cities in them, I sleep in them, then I have hotels launder them. I pack them lovingly into my suitcase next to treasures and adventures. I wear them at home, I go walking in my city in them. I love them.

After one trip, I washed them myself. They shrank a bit in the length. So now they look like high water yoga pants. I put them away for a while. Lovingly, but away until I "lost some weight".

Last night, I found them. I put them on, did a modern dance and an "ode to the detailed yoga pant" poem. And then I walked out of them. This morning I found them at the bottom of my bed. And now, if I get up from this chair, in two steps they will be at my knees.

Yup.

Goodbye beautiful yoga pant. I never yoga'ed enough for you......

3 comments:

Danyele said...

Love it! Get ready for LOTS more of those moments.

You'll have to give me the scoop on London - I'm getting ready to visit for the first time.

Dagny said...

It's so weird to say goodbye to certain clothes that saved your life. Then you realize you won't have to feel about any article of clothing like that ever again because everything you have will fit! You'll walk into any store and anything you want will fit. Except when they don't carry it small enough.
I still marvel at the choices in my own closet and I still have very little.
Dagny

Tracy said...

YUP.... you are NOT the winner of the broken bypass!