The Little Engine That Could

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

April Fools

Today I promise not to be a fool.

I got back, and started immediately reading my email. I saw that my local yoga place was offering an opportunity to commit to a month of yoga. No prizes or incentives, other than "how would it feel with your new muscles, with your new balanced outlook, with you being your word." Although the prospect of all month yoga is terribly exciting, I would rather play my own game.


Here are the rules. This is for one month only.

1) Work out for a normal time everyday. This does not mean "the five minute walk to the subway" is a workout. This means workout clothes on, going to either the gym or for a fitness walk. Shopping is not working out as of yet. For me, normal is between 35-45 minutes and includes stretching.

2) If I happen to miss I day, I can go in the morning and in the evening to double up. Any more of that is just crazy.

3) I commit to this for one month-- I have a conference the week of April 28, but let's bring it on-- working out and conferencing. A whole new world.

4) 5 classes-- take on at least one fitness class a week to see what else is out there. I've gotten so boring in the treadmill/bicycle. I want to try yoga, kickboxing, weights, aerobics, water workouts, etc. Something new and different. It will be like recess.

At the end of this month, I want to drop another size and at least 15 pounds on the scale. At this point in my "golden period" I shouldn't be at the same weight I was a month ago, and I can feel carbs coming back in, and the excuses to have them. So along with the work out game, I also pledge:

1) 3 meals a day, 1 snack. This means no protein powder in coffee unless that is part of a meal or a snack, no late night crunching on the couch.

2) Reduce the amount of cheese I consume. I eat an enormous amount of full fat, very flavorful cheese. I can get by with a wedge or four out of my daily routine.

3) Plan dinner at breakfast. Meaning make dinner before hand so I am not coming home to eat through my fridge as I "make" dinner.

4) Measure out my food. No more eyeballing it. Lately I have had some concern about eating too much, and this is a way to remember what a portion should be.

5)Therapy, Support group or a meeting. My choice. Once a week to get the emotional/spiritual stuff excised.

I am really excited about this new game. It feels like clean living, clean eating. A spring cleaning for the insides and out. Anyone else want to join me?

And really, this is no joke. This is my life we are talking about here. My determination to stick with something for an entire month may actually create the space for something extra-ordinary to happen. Like getting my self confidence back in check.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your new pics are very nice, especially the me now one. Looking very happy. Keep up the good work.

Julie

Eat, Drink and be Married said...

What a great way to "spend" a month! I think I might join you. =)

Anonymous said...

You look fabulous!

<3 Sabrina

Tracy said...

OK..... this sounds like a kick ass plan. ONE THAT I NEED TO GET ON MYSELF!

Also... I ABSOfreakenLUTELY love your new pics!