The Little Engine That Could

Thursday, March 27, 2008

M-I-A-M-I

I'm headed to FL for some business and some pleasure. I had to leave work early-ish yesterday so I could pick up my laundry and pack, which I haven't really done. My two smaller suitcases are broken, and the other one was given away to ladies from Afganistan. No really, it was.

I'm volunteering (if being on one phone call and giving a piece of luggage is called that) for an organization that partners women in war ravaged countries with women in the US to create business partnerships. The idea is that women are an overlooked minority of building infrastructure after times of chaos. These women are building small businesses-- print shops, scarves, soccer ball assembly, tea stands-- in the hopes to provide a base of capital for other women to be business owners, and so on and so on. I never think about these women who have to pick up their lives after their husbands or children have been killed/wounded-- and they have nothing.

It's a powerful call.

So instead of bitching about my suitcase that now lives in Kabul, I'll instead suck it up and carry a non-rolly bag. I am carrying less clothes these days, only one pair of shoes. The nice part about traveling in the US is that if necessary, I can go shopping. If I am missing anything, I can go get it somewhere. Last trip, it was Spanx and lipstick. This trip, potentially hairspray and razors...... and maybe a new pair of smaller jeans.

I do have to say, I'm tired of traveling for right now. I want a weekend at home. I need to go through mail and do my taxes and fall asleep on my couch-- along with watching all the programs I've DVR'ed over the last two weeks. Maybe even see my friends. Or at least return their calls (hi Ms. M-- I got your message. I have photos.)

I am renting a car. I am not going to drive thru any coffee place. And yes, I am getting the extra insurance.

Have a happy week-end. See you on Sunday.

1 comment:

Eat, Drink and be Married said...

That is fantastic...the thing about your suitcase living in Kabul now, what a lovely thing to do!

Also, I was looking over my last comment re: the coffee shop and it occurred to me that it sounded like I was calling you a bad driver, which was not what I intended! =\

Anyhow, welcome home, and bon voyage, all at once!