The Little Engine That Could

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Stepping on the Scale

It's such an interesting game I play with myself. Like no one else plays it. Holler "Aye" if you do this....

I only record weight when I have lost it, but not when I have gained it. So therefore no updates for a couple days. I must have stepped on that friggen thing about 15 times in the last three days, but it hasn't moved, and in fact goes up and down. By a couple of half pounds, but I am paranoid-- omigod the surgery doesn't work for me, I will never lose the weight, I have to exercise more (I can't under doctor's orders), I have to eat more (which I do), maybe I am stopped up and need to clean out my system, etc etc etc.

So here's the deal-- only on the scale once a week. I don't want to do what I have done in the past and give up or think that going to the bathroom will help, or weighing the first thing in the morning, or whatever other little game I can play with myself.

My first time on Weight Watchers, the night before my first weigh in (I was 15) my gramma asked me what I wanted my last meal to be. I didn't quite understand, but she schooled me in overeating to unbalance the scale-- that night I ate spaghetti-o's, mother's iced oatmeal cookies, frozen snicker's bars, etc. I went to WW the next afternoon with my father and weighed somewhere in the range of 280-250-- somewhere like that. 15 years old, people. 15. Yes, 5'9", and I am about 100 pounds from that weight, but fer chrissakes, 15.

I was too busy unbalancing the scale during my teenaged years to focus on anything but a gay boyfriend.

I learned most of my terrible food habits from the women in my life. My Aunt Patty apologized (herself being a WLS'er) for teaching me to eat frosting out of the can, Aunt Susie for getting stoned with me in college and eating out way through cakes and lasagnas, sausages and cookies. The lady down the street let me sneak cookies from the cabinet, my mother teaching me to have dinner but to leave the leftovers out, "just in case" you were hungry later.

When I was home during recovery-- the first night my folks had steak, as they always do on Saturday. I liked the smell, but was barely drinking back my protein shake. But then-- she left the leftovers out. I asked them to please put them away. I don;t mind the dinner and the smells, but leaving the leftovers out-- c'mon. Just give the bottle to the drunk, whydon'tcha.

What I would like to do is give my nieces and nephew, and hopefully children, the good habits. Eat when you are hungry, drink when you are thirsty, If you want the cookie, have ONE cookie-- not an apple in front of mom, and sneak the sleeve of cookies into my room for later. No hiding while eating. No fast eating. Sit at the friggen table, turn off the tv. If leftovers happen, but them away. No easy pickins.

And only step on the scale once a week.

3 comments:

InkyW said...

i too weigh every day and like you I only log in the losses. one lady i know weighs daily but only writes down what it says on wednesdays. i only weigh after the morning pee and naked and that's it. why do i have self control to only step on it once a day but not once a week? must think on that, not sure if I could commit to once a week, but I wish you good luck.

and it took me forever to throw away food after my surgery. it's easy now but the voices in my head still worry about starving people in ___________, which was what my parents told me about eating every last grain of rice on my plate, then dessert too! ugh. childhood.

Dagny said...

Oh the SCALE DRAMA!!! Gonna get a few different responses to this one. I used to weigh once a week, Saturday morning when I first got up. Nekkid on my Tanita digital scale with body fat percentage!

Hey if JEN comments don't let her tell you she's not the biggest scale whore in the universe!

Dagny

Melting Mama said...

AYE AYE AYE.

I would love to have experienced that pre-children. I wonder. If maybe, my children wouldn't have had a weight issue to begin with if I had been already WLS'ed before they came?
(I was like, 24 days past my 18th birthday, so.. it would have never been possible... but...)