The Little Engine That Could

Monday, August 13, 2007

Corporal restructuring

Or Internal Re-organization.

I can't decide how I will tell some of my co-workers about surgery. What I want to say is "I've been on vacation", but that's a lie. I've been at home, choking down isopure and ricotta, and believe me, that's no vacation.

Or I want to tell them everything-- about the time when I was five my mom caught me with my hand in the cookie jar, and then when I was 10 and after getting an ice cream at McDonald's my mom made me go try out for volleyball-- which I loved, but I never finished the ice cream and it melted all over the dresser) and then when I was twelve and my brother said I'd never be popular if I was fat, and when i was 17 and my teacher said I was pretty and then when I was 22 and gaining weight because my boyfriend was gay and on and on to not feel not think, and dive into the comfort of food. And how this surgery was the last straw in a long battle with weight, and I hate needles and talk about me all you want behind my back, but dammit I am not going back to fat.

Or I can say this:

I had an internal re-org, a kind of corporal restructuring. One division was over-performing and eating up profits at not much of a loss, so that division has been reduced and sidelined--effectively been cut out and furloughed, but I don't see any chance of it coming back into action. One of the divisions on the lower part of the ladder has reduced forces, and are re-worked into the receivership of the now smaller, once over performing division, cutting out the middle man. These two smaller divisions streamline the process, retracing the habits of the older division, but without enduring servitude for the head of the company.

I like that one better. Don't you?

5 comments:

Dagny said...

I like "corporate restructuring" the best.

Don't go back to fat. No. Don't go there. Na-uh.

Dagny

Kim said...

But it's not a corporate restructuring......

It's CORPORAL Restructuring.......

A little pain never hurt.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this. For an MBA like myself, you're a-speakin' my language. : )

Anonymous said...

That's brilliant.

That's just fucking brilliant.

Dagny said...

But I'm fucking stupid because it's a pun I didn't get! I'm an idiot sometimes.
Dagny