The Little Engine That Could

Thursday, July 12, 2007

When did I stop Skipping.....

Today I had a very simple procedure where they looked at my stomach and whatnot with a camera to check me out, make sure everything is where it needs to be. I don't think I have been so scared in so long. I don't like the invasiveness of needles, IV's etc-- I feel so vulnerable and icky. But the drugs the put me on felt fantastic. Take the good, take the bad. The Facts of Life.

C was there right when I needed her. Drugs, wow, it was like being wake and bake stoned for most of the day. I felt fucking fantastic. Now my tummy hurts a little, but I think I'm going to be fine. And I don't feel the need to pull out my Greatful Dead/ Steve Miller Band collection or tie dye anything.

Before we settled into our not quite a documentary movie for the evening, we began with "What's there to be created for this new body, this new person?" I want to do things that scare me a bit. Like working out regularly, hiking, biking. For sure, I will be swimming. That is a no brainer, and I am going to start the second I am cleared for exercise from the surgeon. I love swimming-- stroke, and float and clear my head, and breathe.

As we were creating, two little girls went skipping by.
"I want to do more of that"
Absolutely.

When did I stop skipping? It was a faster way to get from place to place, it felt like flying and running but in a more fun way. I can't remember when I stopped, but I am starting up again. No more running for the train, I'll skip. And do it with a smile on my face. People can't scowl skipping-- and I am going to skip, dangit!

Some more things for the list of "that's scary but I'm going to do that":
1) Speed dating-- Christine and I make perfect wing men for each other, we are total opposites, and yet we are fun to converse with Getting to a size that is normal will provide her with a partner that wants to engage men and talk to them, and she can swing in for the kill, while I chat up their much cuter but dorkier friends. I know I could do it right now, but at this weight, I don't want to .

2) Rock Wall Climbing. This is a compromise. Something about a "Night Hike" that had me go-- umm, never. Camping for me is staying in a cabin with no running water. So rock wall climbing. But you will never see me in a sleeping bag hanging off the side of a cliff because "it's cool". Cause that's just stupid.

3) Tightrope-- I've always wanted to try this-- not high off the ground, but to walk across and balance.

4) Single's cruise. Yes, we have just turned into those two "very special guest stars" on the love boat.

5) Adventures-- She can horseback ride all she wants, I'll jump on a trampoline and swim in a lake.

6) Double date-- I'd love to double date with C. She's a hoot. And sometimes if I time it right I can get her to almost lose her diet coke through her nose.

I'll add more to the list. C says that she is committed to working out and feeling better about herself, and me too, so together we are going to have the whole world.......

The interesting thing is that C is really for me having this surgery as a way to feel better about myself She is possibly the only person, besides maybe TK, that knows how scared and depressed and anxious I get over new situations. New situation coming right up.

I'll write more on the skipping. It needs it's own blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Skipping rules. We should all skip together. It would make the world a happier, sillier place I think.

Gabs xxx

Danyele said...

I'm so glad that you have a support person in C - that is so so important, especially right now at the beginning of the "journey".

Keep skipping, swimming.. MOVING!

Dagny said...

You're going to discover things you never knew you wanted to do. When the inspiration hits, DO THEM!!!
I'm so excited for you!!!
Dagny