The Little Engine That Could

Friday, July 20, 2007

Liquid Diet

Okay, day two of liquid diet. And since I am being honest these days, it's really day one. Because the real day 1 I ordered a big ol Chicken dinner with garlic cheese bread and had my last meal from start to finish without putting down the damn fork. 1600 calories in that dinner alone.

I felt full, like I love to feel, that full full feeling that is warm and comforting. I got to say goodbye to that feeling, honor it for it's position in my life, and let it go.

So liquid diet-- I am digging the pure protein shakes, and I am not digging isopure. The taste isn't horrible, but the smell, my god it's terrible.

It's nice not having a choice on what to eat. Like wearing a uniform to school-- just make sure you have one and go. I have to plan properly though-- I have to make sure I have a shake with me at all times-- because I leave in the AM and don't get home until late late late. So three shakes packed in the morning. Otherwise, hungry, cranky, lightheaded and really bitchy.

My goal is to lose about 22 pounds (or a stone and a half for you UK'ers) before Aug 2 surgery date. I think it's totaly doable. The scale said I was down 4 this morning. Marked improvement from last week in which I ate everything. Including the really really yummy truffles from Trader Joes that had me lay on the couch and go "unnnhhh, uhnnnn". I am glad I did it, because -- never again. It's like when I quit smoking, I had to make the choice-- okay, now you can smoke all you want, but tomorrow, no more. And for almost 6 months, I have not had one moment of a puff, a drag, or any of it. And now smoking repulses me.

I realize I am going to have to do that with food. No more watching TV-- I can watch DVD's but no programming (too many food commericals). No trashy magazines, because again, food advertisements. As long as I can stay untriggered for the next week, while I get used to the liquid diet, I'll be fine. Then I can coast until surgery, and be re-routed, a permanent beautiful detour.

Hmmm. Good for me.

4 comments:

Keyana said...

I went through this same thing while on the pre-op diet and I was sucking the cream cheese filling out of crab rangoon!! I was irritable, bitchy and all of that. Just hang in there. It will all be worth it in the end is what I hear. I just had my surgery Tuesday and am still unable to eat anything but clear liquids...But keep up the good work. BTW< I can't watch t.v. either. It sucks.

Danyele said...

Hang in there Kim.. I don't envy anyone that has to do the liquid diet. I lucked out on that one. Glad that you enjoyed the "last meal".. the good news is that you have not given up anything. Really. You'll see what I mean in about 3 months.

Dagny said...

I didn't have to do the liquid diet either! I got off easy....

I've said it so many times and Danyele has just said it in her way too. Trust us, you won't regret ANYTHING you "give up." What you're going to get instead will be soooooo much better!

I recently compiled a list of what I "gave up." Go read it!!
Dagny

Anonymous said...

Everytime Alyssa has a surgery (we're up to 13 so far) she has to go on a liquid diet. Because I would never make my kid do anything I am not brave enough to do, I go on it to. It sucks, but it is worth it because of the trust it builds. So if *I* can do it, I know you can girl. I have a tinybita willpower. You have a lottabit! You stopped smoking! I am so proud of you. I love you so much!!!