The Little Engine That Could

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Chicago

It's a windy city. Full of airbags.

I did two things I am really proud of while I was there. I stepped up and did some exercise. I had a bunch of people from around the world with me, and I usually spend a lot of time catering to them. This time around, not so much. I saw the Art Institute and walked a lot. It was a little cold, but it worked itself out.

The second thing is that I met another sassy sister. The creator of sassy. And it was interesting to meet someone that knows me very well through writing, and I know very well from blogs, and well, I guess the best thing to say is that it's weird putting a name to face. Because they are everything you thought and more. Because they are human. It was cool, because all my struggles are struggles she's gone through as well, and she is such a champion for success for all women who have chosen this path-- and so I feel completely cheered on.

She did teach me something important. You can go to a restaurant and order cottage cheese. I would have never thought to do that. Simple but completely effective.

So thanks, D.

It was a stressful week. Lot's of planning and ego soothing and dancing around personalities. I ate peanut m&m's to calm myself. Actually to crash myself. And well, it sucked. I did that two nights in a row. It just doesn't work for me to have an honor bar, especially when I do not want to have any honor. I asked the hotel to take it out of my room. I don't need that looking at me as I watch TV before bed.

I could live in Chicago. I really like the men there. They are kind, and even the ones that aren't so kind aren't like NY-er's. I didn't get one catcall or ohh, baby or anything. I spend most of my day tensing up to that, so it was relieving to just walk around and not have to deal with any of that.

Another lesson learned. Just because it fits doesn't mean you have to buy it. I found a great brown corduroy blazer in an 18. So cute, so pretty, perfect for jeans and whatnot. And it fit great. But I didn't get it. I don't need it now, maybe by next fall I'll want another one, but this time around it's okay not to have to have it.

I feel pretty balanced today. Some friends coming over in a bit, and then later, exercise and grocery shopping. And early to bed! Man I was so tired last night, I fell out on the couch and woke up with my cellphone alarm!

I'm glad to be home.

4 comments:

Melting Mama said...

Glad you made it back safe. :)

Dagny said...

How about ordering a whole head of lettuce in a bowl and just tearing it apart with your hands? You can get that too.

Dagny said...

I wish we could hang out all the time.

Tracy said...

Glad you had a good time! the two's are just around your corner!