The Little Engine That Could

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

The Rose Candle

It was the end of 1996 or early 1997 and my gramma came to visit my parents in CT. It would be the last time she took an extensive trip from home, as she died in Jan 2001.

I purchased the Rose candle-- that stupid Diana candle-- the English rose.

I gave one to my mom and one to gramma. Gramma was staying in my room-- she had the comfy bed, she had italian ice that she scraped every night (which drove my father to distraction) and she read every sign along the way to and from the grocery, on long drives, etc (Dip, 55 miles per hour, Road Construction ahead). I guess as we get older, we will all do this things. How I miss it so.

Gramma wasn't feeling well. She caught a cold and had terrible nightmares. She had not been terribly holed up in her house yet, but was soon going to be. She needed to be in bed before mom and pop started on their nightly routine, which was to drink themselves into a stupor, turn up the TV and eat leftovers until about 1am, to which their passed out selves would haul up to bed and then wake up at 5am to start the day again. I still can't figure out how they never have a hangover.

I stayed in the room next to Gramma. One night, after a terrible nightmare, I walked into her room to calm her down and knocked over a glass on the nightstand, along with the asprin I was bringing her. Since I didn't have slippers on, I kicked the glass under the bed so that she wouldn't step on it, along with a few of the pills. She said "Just sit with me a while." so I did.

At the end of her bed I lightly rubbed her legs, talking about how my life in NYC was so different from college, and the people I was meeting were so exciting and lovely, and that I finally felt like a grown up in the grown up world I had always lived in. She told me that she wished I would have had more of a childhood and not have taken care of so many people, but that she understood that this was my purpose in life, and that no matter how scared I was of blood and needles, that I would always be a nurse of some sort, just like she was. And that she was proud of me.

I brought in the candle and asked her if she wanted me to light it. It smelled so good, like her hand lotion when I was a little kid that I loved so much, and I wanted to share it with her. It was getting late, and she said "Don't light it, just keep it open and it will be just perfect." I tucked her back into bed, making sure that she had a full glass of water next to her (in a plastic cup this time) and her slippers nearby for bathroom runs. The next morning, I could smell the rose candle in the hallway-- it was delicious, and for the first time in a long time, I felt like I could take on the day, knowing she was right there, snoring lightly in my bed, because that CT house finally felt like home.

Years passed, she passed. I spent months and years missing her from the bottom of my heart-- of my soul. She was my best friend, I took care of her from far away and I surprised her with trips out to CA after I had moved to NYC, with little lunches and naptimes and cuddles and love. Sometimes I think the world will be so much of a better place if I can just crawl into her lap and tell her I had an accident and she will rock me and say "It's okay, I still love you."

When I met James, it was about 3 weeks before my birthday. For my first birthday with James, he gave me a bottle of Sunflowers. My last Christmas gift from Gramma was a bottle of Sunflowers perfume. It was like she blessed it from the heavens above and said "This one you can give your heart to." When I told my mom, we cried together, and this is how I know he's the one forever.

Over the summer, I found the unlit rose candle and brought it to my apartment. Tonight I have it burning, and all these great memories of Gramma come flooding back, swimming in her pool, the red chair, going on motorhome trips, olives in the egg salad, going to Mexico and eating homemade tortillas, the soft soft skin in her skirted bathing suit, her loving gentle and kind ways, her lilting voice, her square nails, her perfect hair, and all the best things that every girl should remember about her Gramma. She taught me how to make pancakes, how to be quiet when necessary, how to fight back and how to love with all my heart. It is because of her that I am generous and forgiving, for if she was nothing else, she was that.

So, I miss her. I always will. I can still see her face and hear her voice. When she died, my friend Dan held me in his arms and cried with me. The last words she said to me in her hospital bed were "I talk to you here (pointing to her heart). I love you forever."

I love you too. And the smell of roses has never been the same for me since.

3 comments:

Donna said...

What a great entry. I can totally identify with your relationship to you Grandmother. I miss mine terribly too, but I love how I see, hear or smell something and her memory (never too far out of my mind) floods my mind. It's like a great big hug and reminder that she's still "here."

Anonymous said...

I miss my Nonnie...every moment of every day. Of all those in my family, I was her heart. I was the adventurer, the reader, the poet, the dreamer, the doer...in later years when I was 21 years old and I up and left home to move to Northern Ireland, when everyone else was freaked out because I was going to a place where bombings were a daily occurance, my Nonnie was proud of me, proud of her girl, taking the risk, proud that I was traveling to the place of our ancestors birth, proud that despite any fears I had, it was worth it to me to make the journey. I was the only grand daughter...there were brothers and male cousins but I was the only girl. She taught me to play poker when I was 7, she taught me to play dirty poker when I was fifteen...She has been gone 12 years now...I am still her heart...I always will be...every time someone says, "Gosh you are just like your Nonnie, so stubborn or so funny or Good Lord, all those freckles"...her heart beats through mine again...I will never tire of carrying her spirit with me...of leading the charge towards the next great adventure...Cheers to you Kim...thank you for bringing my own Nonnie to me today...I miss her so...

Kim said...

This was beautiful, Kim, and it touched my heart.
I was not close to either of my grandmothers as we grew up in California and they both lived in Maryland. But when reading your post, it made me think of my mother-in-law, that we lost rather unexpectedly last month. I often felt closer to her than to my own mother, who though she loves me, she is often too judgmental and outspoken for my comfort. But Daphne was different. A bit eccentric as she was British, but honest, caring and she knew her kids had their own lives to lead (my mother does not get this). I treasured my time with her; she taught me to make gravy and tried to teach me a faster way to knit (to no avail!). We sat up evenings when she would visit doing jigsaw puzzles or talking over cups of hot tea.
I really miss her. Though we are going to England for three weeks next month to spend time with my FIL, to help him adjust, I know Daphne's presence will be everywhere and I both dread it and welcome it.
Thank you for sharing.