The Little Engine That Could

Saturday, June 14, 2008

On 35

I am one year out from having made a decision to have Gastric Bypass. I made the decision the morning of my 34th birthday, although I had for months been saying, well maybe--- but that morning I knew. I knew I didn't want to spend another year trying to loose weight, trying to get to the gym, trying to date as a super plus sized woman, trying to fit into airplane seats, trying to just fit in.

I remember waking up and quietly deciding. I began to tell friends, my family was almost all aware. I saw my mom go through a blossoming of sorts, becoming more active, more healthy, more vibrant. I wanted that.

Today is the beginning of 35. What has changed?

1) Travel: I pack less. Partially because I have less and partially because my clothes are smaller. I fit in airplane seats with the arm rest down. No extenders, except when I am bloated like the trip back from Chicago and I don't want anything toughing my tummy.

2) Meals: I still want the burger with all the fixings, or the entire meal. Last night I had a cup of coffee and 10 bites of a salmon, cream cheese omelette. I was full, but not to uncomfortable. I don't dump on sugar like I had anticipated, so I can have a bite of chocolate or sweet, but I don't need to.

3) Meals on the Road: I enjoy having soup. I enjoy eating yogurt. I don't drink juice or have more than 2 cocktails in a 6 hour period. The only bubbly thing I've had is flat diet coke with rum or jack and the glass of champagne at Cassie's wedding. I try to stick with not drinking and eating together. I have learned to experiment with food-- I eat appetizers and pull things apart. I have shucked more cheese sticks from their fried goodness than most people ever will, I have eaten the goo out of dumplings. I have yet to eat a bread sandwich-- I have had a crossaint but it took me two meals to eat the sandwich. I eat protein bars and lots of nuts and jerky.

4) Clothes: I am a size 18 pant and a size 12 or 14 top. My shoes are too big, and I now don't have to get the 12w but instead 12 or 11w, depending. I have blown through one pair of trainers. I received hand me downs from Christine and am wearing some of them. I have a wardrobe of pieces that work for now, and everything is compacted on one rod, not three. Thank god it's summer, because I will need new coats in the fall and winter. I do not wear loud clothes like I used to, but instead jeans and nice tops. My bra size is now 40B down from 48 C. My underwear size is down to 14-16-- I have no idea what that translates to outside of Lane Bryant.


5) Fashion and Shopping: I can shop at Kohl's in the non-plus department. I haven't yet tried out the other shops in the non-plus range, because I don't want to be disappointed. I like having a monochromatic wardrobe of black, white, green and pink. I still love the polka dots, but the wild and crazy makeup has gone. I can't remember the last time I wore red lipstick.

I purchased a beautiful sliver choker in Mexico. It fit perfectly around my neck. I couldn't believe it.

6) Hair: Some fell out. Not noticeable, but out it came and I remedied the situation with an awesome new cut. And upped the protein. And used the special shampoo.

7) Dating: Currently dating a kind and gentle and generous man. Previously dating a lot of men that were okay but not great. Dated more this year than ever. I think I might be in a relationship. He asked: Are you going to always eat like a bird, and I said yes. And it's true, I will.

8) Habits: Sleeping well. Saying what's there for me. Smoking again, but with the caveat that it stops before the next trip. Gym time-- never enough but more than ever. Still wearing sleeveless clothes regardless of the gobble gobble of my upper arms.

9) Celebrations: I look in the mirror and see the person I always saw. But I am no longer fooling myself with angles and whatnot. I look good in most pictures, I feel good about my body. I enjoy being active and walking a lot. As I ran to the train the other day with my 25 pound bag, I realized I was tired because I was lugging all that extra weight. My knees hurt, my feet hurt. And then realized that I have carried 120 pounds of that for a long time. Sometime I miss that, when I want to do destructive things like eat a pie or complete an entire meal. I miss that part of me. But then I can feel my hip bones. And my collar bones. And fit into clothing that was once never considered. And I can believe it when people say I look good and healthy and rested.

I spend less time worrying about what others think. I spend more time thinking about what I want.

Here are some stats.
pre-diet 7/6/07 6/14/2008
Head 24 23
Neck 18.75 15.5
Shoulders 22 16
Right Upper 19 15
Right Lower 14 12
Rigth Wrist 7.5 7
Left Upper 19 14.75
Left Lower 13 11
Left Wrist 7.5 7
above bra 48 40
bust 53.5 43
below bust 48 39
waist 50 41
hips 63 49
Thighs 58.5 51
right thigh 40 30
right knee 20 15.5
right calf 21.25 19
right ankle 11 9.5
left thigh 38.5 31
left knee 20.5 17
left calf 23.25 19.5
left ankle 11 10.25
shoe 12ww 12/11w depending
weight 385.1 267.1



Happy birthday to me. The best gift ever.

5 comments:

Lovely said...

Hi, I just wanted to leave a note for the brave and hard work you've been doing. Thank you for giving me hope. I'm an underweight girl from a world where appearences matters the most to people no matter how smart person you are. I'm still not brave enough to face myself and food!! Keep the good work up :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Gorgeous Lady. Hope the next year holds a world of wonder and thrills for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I foudn your site on she's a rebel! Your blog is a great read.. Just wanted to say Happy Birthday! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was beautiful. It made me stop and think about how much my life has changed since my surgery in Sept and how greatful I am for it! Thank you for that. And a great big Happy Birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?