The Little Engine That Could

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Big Big Trip

Sunday night I leave for 23 days. 23 days. On the road in foreign lands.

First, I go to London. Stay a bit then off to Kent for a workshop. I am excited to see the English countryside. I am happy to eat English strawberries and scones and real clotted cream with tea. I am also excited to be out in the fresh air. I'm sure it smells like dirt and cows, but nothing that this city girl can't take.

Then back to London for a couple of days. Work work work from the office, laugh with co-workers, pat each other for a job well done. Maybe I'll even see a show. I think I deserve it.

Then off to Hong Kong with a small stop in Frankfurt. Just the airport, but I get to tick another country off my list. I've never been to Hong Kong. I imagine it's fast and loud and well lit and full of languages I can't understand. And all of me will stand in the middle, towering over everyone and go "Huh?".

Because this is the unimaginable life. Four years ago I was sitting at my uncle's house in Napa surrounded by family and love. I had just started a temp job with a company I had worked for before. I was making nothing per hour, commuting to Jersey every day. I was just getting over the depression of having lost a job I hated, which actually made me feel like no one wanted me.

Poor potato chip eating, sofa dwelling Big Girl, Big City.

And four years later, I am traveling the world. Meeting people and seeing things I never imagined I'd see. Creating great events and working really hard (and smart) for a company I truly respect. I don't get much couch time, and when I do, I love it. I don't stay there for long.

I don't know how I got so lucky. I don't know what the secret is. I mean, my house is still in disarray, I sleep on torn sheets, I have two suitcases that are broken and a whole slew of "throw away piles". I never get all my to-do's done, I forget to call people back. There are still conversations that lurk around that are "I'm (or it's) not enough". I feel guilty for sharing about travels and trips with folks that don't get to do that, and even guiltier sharing my "I'm so lonely" road stories with them.

But, I am out there, living my life. Working, loving, creating my messy messy life.

So, road trip for 23 days. I am not sure if I will be able to write all that often, but I will try. I will have no access to a scale. I think this is important for me. 3 weeks without weighing myself, I'll have no idea where I am in relationship to where I was. Or am right now.

Oh, interesting factoid. Purchased clothes from the plus department of old navy. 1x and XL. They fit. What the fuck, they fit? Yup, they fit. I'm going to do a little shopping in London, and in Hong Kong. Have a dress or a coat made, have some shoes made. Send postcards to family and loved ones. And have lots of conversations with people who also love what they do. Drink tea, work out, walk in the fresh air (applicable to Kent only), discover new places. Etc. Etc.

I will have lots of catching up to do when I get back. I can't wait!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your trip is all that and a bag of chips. Sounds like it will be amazing.

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful time! I love England (my hubby is from there) and though it is expensive, it is also beautiful! I look forward to hearing about your journey!

Danyele said...

Omg, I'm so jealous! Have a FABULOUS FABULOUS time. I'm so hoping that I can meet you during my quick trip to NYC. I'll email you my cell number so that we can get in touch. Take care, be safe, and have a scone with clotted cream for me, will you? ((big hugs))

AJ said...

Have fun and be safe on your trip! And don't forget to take loads of pictures to share!

Anonymous said...

I'm just curious: what kid of job do you have that allows you to travel the world? And how can I get one?

Cheers,

Jules

Anonymous said...

That's sounds pretty amazing. I really love your blog. I'm three months out and relate to so many of the things you have blogged about. I can't wait to create my own adventures. I'm moving to London for grad school in a few weeks (yay!) Keep up the great work, you are an inspiration. :)