The Little Engine That Could

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Big Girl Dances


Yep, she dances.

J. told me that if I would get up on a table and bellydance, then she would consider going to a restaurant for a conference that is a little out of the price range. What she doesn't know is my belly is my greatest asset. Not my best, mind you, but my greatest.

First, it is large and round and I spend a lot of time fighting with it. It disagrees with me often (these pants are too tight, I can't breathe, and keep away that guy away), but my belly is a good friend to me. She is soft and round and moves, sometime too much for my taste, but she, like me, wants to be seen and watched. She protects me from unwanted, unsolicited attention, and keeps me warm. I always have something to hug.

Second, she loves to dance. With her friend, hips and butt, she shakes and shimmies and loves to move.

I started bellydancing years ago in high school, and although I am not very good at it, I love it. It is freedom, being sensual without being sexual, expression beyond compare. With arms and eyes, bellydancing is a very long invitation to wonder what, and if, life would be like if I was truly free to be expressed all the time.

Now, getting up on a table and doing it might be too much to bear. But still, how fun.....

No comments: