The Little Engine That Could

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Is it bad?

is it bad to get moved by your own writing?

A couple years ago a friend comissioned me to write text for his most amazing dance solo piece. And we came across it the other day.


My life is written on the backs of sleeves full of tears and snot in lieu of Kleenex
Waiting on corners for him to show up
My life is written on ticket stubs and burned out metro cards and buttons from shirts I never owned
My life is written on the backs of coffee cups with red ring sides full of kisses shared with liquid happiness
My life is written on church bulletins and post-it notes in my mother’s handwriting written out in highlighters
My life is written on postage stamps to cards never sent to family members unseen and unheard
Picture perfect events that never happened while I was around
My life is written on white paper with black pen as I patiently wait for my cigarette to finish smoking itself
My life is written on the pills of my middle management wardrobe and “what do you do for a living”
Its written on the sidewalks of my worn shoes back and forth to make some money
My life is written on the empty boxes of food and banana peels that make up my pile of garbage
My life is written with cigarette stained fingers and spoken in acts of an addiction
My life is written on bathroom mirrors and plate glass windows, words following me everywhere till I have no where to run
There is no hiding from my life, there is no absence, no structure, it’s life

I collect these words as they trail after me, stuffing them into my body, eating them again and again, and throwing them up into small bits and pieces until finally someday, one day, someone besides me will be nourished by them

It's not as easy as a song, or as pretty as a picture, I can't touch it or feel its warmth or hold it as I fall asleep at night. I can't wear it like a cloak or funny hat, I can't smell it like the trash truck hurtling down my street at 4am.
I can't describe it other than black pen on white paper, written in my mother's handwriting, broken into my own language.
I had forgotten this girl existed. This sad and thoughtful and miserable person with a very good sense of picture painting in greys and blues.

At the time during this was written, I was working for a bank, not happy at all, on the second shift. I was miserable in my body, so so lonely, and just hoping that someday, one day I would figure out how to date someone, anyone. I ate too much, I smoked too much, I lived with roomates and was still pining away for some guy who's name I can't even remember.

It's nice to revisit her. She's still lonely. She can't believe that this relationship, this body, this life is going to last. She comes out every now and again, snarky, bitchy, whining, and angry. Like I said, nice to revisit, but not to stay.

However, I am moved by that person. Wow. I forgot she can feel and write. And so it goes. I'm in the process of uncovering great things about myself, and slowing down..... but how can I slow down when I have nothing to do all day but find a job--- well, dear reader, that is the key. Spinning my wheels is useless. So now I am enjoying the day and being productive without jamming everything in there.

She's a good writer. I like her.

1 comment:

Dagny said...

I have had that experience of discovering something from the past that I'd forgotten about. When that happens, you read your work from that distance.

Kim so much of what you write resonates with me, you ARE very gifted so it doesn't surprise me that you are touched by a re-discovered piece you read with fresh eyes.